In the cold winter months, our meals often revolve around warm, comfort foods -- they do in my house, anyway! While those are certainly delicous foods, in the spring and summer often our tastebuds want something a little lighter…a little cooler… a little more ‘summery’. In honor of National Salad Month (bet you didn’t know that!) below is a recipe for an absolutely delightful salad. I actually made it myself! Quite easy to prepare and very tasty. This one's going in the recipe book, for sure! The salad is chock full of lean protein, fruit and greens – healthy and satisfies that want for a light, refreshing meal. Warm, crusty bread is a wonderful accompaniment. Bon Apetit!
Grilled Chicken Salad with Seasonal Fruit (as seen on www.allrecipes.com)
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce - rinsed, dried and torn (Note: I used Spring Mix Greens)
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1. Preheat the grill for high heat.
2. Lightly oil the grill grate. Grill chicken 8 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear. Remove from heat, cool, and slice.
3. Meanwhile, place pecans in a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Cook pecans until fragrant, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
4. In a blender, combine the red wine vinegar, sugar, vegetable oil, onion, mustard, salt, and pepper. Process until smooth.
5. Arrange lettuce on serving plates. Top with grilled chicken slices, strawberries, and pecans. Drizzle with the dressing to serve.